Will sheet mulching kill snowdrops?

We have a large grass area in full sun that is filled with snowdrops in the spring. I’d like to convert the area into a flower bed, so was going to use sheet mulch to get rid of the grass. However, will this damage the snowdrop bulbs?

1 Like

If you’re doing this through summer, I can’t imagine it will at all while they are dormant. Sounds very interesting in fact!

2 Likes

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:, I’d be heartbroken if the snowdrops were damaged!

Started putting the sheet mulch down! :slightly_smiling_face: There’s a big clump of snowdrops that I planted when we moved in 5 years ago—I’d dug them up from my Dad’s garden shortly after he’d died and I remember them clearly from when I was a growing up. The plants with a story and a memory are often the most important ones, hence why I want to make sure they’re okay.

Could you post pictures on here next year. I’d love to see the results!
Perhaps you could do it in two sections; and leave one section for the year after… just to be sure that you’ll have snow drops that will not be damaged. And anything else that you’ve learned from your first section could be applied to your second section.

1 Like

Heh, I’ve added to my 2021 diary! Going to do the whole lot in one go, really because of time. Will report back here, see next year :slight_smile:

2 Likes