Wild orchid can you identify?

Hello, do you think this is a pyramidal orchid or a spotted orchid? It does have some spots on the leaves.

4 Likes

to be honest I am not sure, its not a Pyramidal Orchid, but also there are no specks on the foilage and the flower looks to purple to be common spotted orchid, could it be a early purple orchid?

1 Like

Hello Nick
Thank you for replying to me. I am really not sure. I have looked through my Wild flower books and on internet searches, but I am undecided.
I have taken another photo of the leaves and the individual flowers. The bottom leaves do show some slight spotting but the upper ones do not.
It is beautiful and a wonderful shade of vibrant purple. It just appeared this year in one of my planters would you believe.
So we can discount Pyramidal orchid. Could you tell me why you are so sure of this?
Does that help to see these two photos? image|375x500

1 Like

2 Likes

the grounds I manage are species rich with wild flowers including 3 orchids, the Common spotted, the Pyramidal and the Bee Orchid, they come up here in abundance and every year I get so excited to see them. these are pictures of the common Spotted and the Bee Orchids i took on my phone this morning.

theres no image of the common spotted foilage but you can see a distinctive pattern on the flowers.

1 Like

Wow! Yes. Amazing.
I had Bee orchids at my last garden.

1 Like

Just had a quick walk out into the meadows this is a pyramidal orchid, they are not completly out here yet but well on their way.

1 Like

Hi Nick
Thank you for uploading the beautiful photos. These orchids really are amazing! Yes I see what you mean It isn’t the Pyramidal orchid. We can discount that.
So I am now thinking, common spotted orchid.
Do you agree?

1 Like

Hi Angelina,
I would agree it is most likely a common spotted orchid as they range from pale pinks to dark purple, if it has the same sort of pattern on the 3 lobed flowers it will be a Common spotted, I have never seen a prurple one, the only other alternative could be the southern or nothern mash orchid which is very similar but does not have the pattern on the flowers but they prefer moist ground. it always so lovely to see orchids growing.

1 Like