What's your 'big project' in the garden this year?

Oh that’s lovely - you’ve very talented Sandy! :hugs:

1 Like

I’m a novice veggie grower. We’ve constructed two raised beds this spring. Have got some seeds in & a few herbs. A kind neighbour is nurturing tomatoes, courgettes & broccoli in her greenhouse for me! Then it’ll be :crossed_fingers:.
Have been following your garden on Twitter, Jack, it’s stunning.

1 Like

Wow, that’s gorgeous!

1 Like

That’s brilliant Diane - great neighbours, so kind and all best wishes with it. I’m setting up raised beds too in the ‘no dig’ format - literally laying a barrier on top of the ground level within the wooden framework, placing compost on top and then planting (so no real digging). I’m using materials I already have but will have to get a bulk order of soil/compost some how atm. Anyway it’s fun trying and that’s the point of it I think plus a new challenge. Getting homegrown veg will be an amazing bonus. Again, fingers crossed! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Anything that reduces digging has to be a good thing!
We managed to get compost from Wickes (eventually).
Am so enjoying seeing the seedlings pushing up through the soil. Vegetable growing has never really appealed but then last autumn I bought Veg in One Bed by Huw Richards & it really inspired me.

1 Like

Oh thanks and I’ll follow up on Wickes for soil and the book sounds good too. :sunflower:

1 Like

New Big shed on the allotment

Hoping to build a 12’ x 8’ garden room come shed for my alotmet so I have somewhere to warm up and keep dry/ cool off. The intention is to add a composting toilet to alow for longer stays on the plot!

1 Like

That looks very snazzy! Love the drawing. It will be well worth it I’m sure. My potting shed changed the game for me.

That looks amazing. Do you do commissions?!

This used to be a huge pile of rubble from an internal wall that was knocked down. Everything is recycled,plus I have new compost bins behind the fence on the left.

5 Likes

This was before!

2 Likes

My big project this summer is filling in the gaps - I took over 124 squaremeters of concrete-hard clay in a sunny slope, full of thistles, wild masterwort and couch grass in the end of June 2019, so this is the second full summer. I have organized rooms (the blueberry lowlands, the bath of Basho the poet, the provencal garden, the potager, the Japanese zen garden, the tropical jungle, the hanging gardens of Babylon with the Gustavian cold frames, the currant corner and possibly a few more rooms). I give tours to visitors. Now I need to fill in the gaps, there is too much bare soil that turns grey in the sun and horribly slimy when it rains. And the allotment only has tiny patches of horisontal surface, so I hope to reduce the frequency of me sliding down the muddy slope on my bum.

1 Like

I just love that mosaic. Stunning. Lucky you looking out on that every day. A fantastic achievement.

1 Like

Wow! I like the outdoor cabinet as well.

It was a cabinet left by previous owners. We used it as a kitchen island, until we could afford a ‘ new’ used kitchen. It isn’t very practical for outside really as all the cupboards and drawers have seized with the wet. Great for putting plants on though and I think re-using things give a garden character.

1 Like