What's your 'big project' in the garden this year?

Mine has been removing some slabs to plant more into the ground rather than lots of pots to reduce the amount of watering. I’m loving it already as everything is so much easier to look after.

4 Likes

Mine, started yesterday, is to dig up the common pink geranium (oxonianum/endressi) which is covering 70% of my garden but which I have tolerated up to now. No more. It has smothered all my nice plants. It’s a thug and has to go. Enough is enough.

4 Likes

:+1: for not watering pots! My big project is weeding. Honestly. Didn’t get enough ground cover plants in last autumn, paying the price now :disappointed:.

2 Likes

This was my big project for last year that I never got round to finishing, but the gift of time at home now has enabled me to start finishing this off and get it on the wall. I still have a few bits to finish and then grout it! Also becoming self sufficient with herbs, so that we’ll not need to buy fresh or dried herbs this year…and hopefully for the coming years ahead 20200426_160935|281x500

8 Likes

Oh my goodness, that is magnificent Sandy, I love it! So colourful and patterned, it’s not often you see outdoor artwork like this but I really enjoy when I do. Well done on completing it, it must have taken a while! What was the inspiration?

1 Like

Uh oh haha, do you have any fast growing annuals you can sow? I’m doing this right now to fill gaps.

1 Like

:joy: I love how sometimes we quite like or tolerate and plant and then one day, we just snap! It’s gotta go! Always refreshing to do this though as it brings a new look or angle to a garden. Which is good for us as much as other plants.

Hi Julie, totally agree with you. I had the same issue last year and dug up the geranium which was overtaking our garden. Wonderful to have all the extra space to plant a bit of variety. Good luck with your project :blush:

1 Like

Oh thanks! But it keeps happening doesn’t it. Have you kept some? Yes very exciting to get some border space back. But what to plant?:thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

Hi again. Yes I kept some in a more defined area. Especially in places where it’s challenging to grow other plants. Also I have found that the geraniums have sprouted where i didnt fully take the roots out.
Yes I’m finding it exciting choosing replacements - I’ve grown blue bells which are looking a lovely replacement under the plum tree. I’m really new to gardening so loving seeing my garden evolve. Do let me/us know what you choose to do with your new available space. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will do. New to gardening sounds very exciting indeed.

I have started building a greenhouse, something I was meant to do two years ago. This unfortunate situation we are all in has given me the perfect opportunity to finally get going. I am building it from scratch to my own design and have just got the frame built. This is the big one this year so I can grow my own garden flowers for next season.

6 Likes

That’s a darned fine idea — I do have some ground cover plants to go in (strawberries, dwarf comfrey) but I’m a bit wary of planting out in the warm weather in case they don’t make it. Will get some annuals in as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

That certainly is a big project! It feels beyond my means to DIY so very much in awe. It will be great to have something to your own specifications however. Did you start with finding glass sizes?

Wow! That’s really beautiful Sandy :blush:

2 Likes

Pre-kids we had always grown some veg but this went by the wayside as our boys were growing up. Apart from a few tomatoes and salad in pots.

This year I decided to dig a small herb/ veg patch in the lawn.

I just dug the turf in underneath so hoping this will be okay. As our soil has clay in we managed to find a few bags of horse manure from stables in the village to dig in. Bit smelly to start with :rofl:

This week I’ve just started sowing a few rows of herbs and going to plant a some salad items such as radish when the seed arrives by post. Starting small this year.

Seen some great project going on here.

2 Likes

It’s looking great and impressed you’re building from scratch. :blush:

2 Likes

I am actually using Acrylic in place of glass, at least for the initial build. Oddly I did find for both glass and acrylic if you buy ‘standard’ size sheets labelled for greenhouses they were more expensive than buying cut sheets. Originally I had put the foundation in for a greenhouse I was looking at buying, so then designed this to fit on the same foundation size.

3 Likes

Thanks for all your comments, the blank wall was crying out for something. I did a mosaics course a few years ago with a friend of mine, I did a smaller mosaic which was bright and colourful but the tutor didn’t approve as it didn’t follow the classic mosaic rules and was more like crazy paving - I guess he’d have heart failure looking at this one :joy: The initial idea came off something I saw on Pintrest and the combined K and S came from a mosaic on the floor of Cobh Cathedral in Ireland close to where my husband’s mom lives. We spotted it the first time we went to Ireland together. I’m not at all creative so I’m glad it all came together.

1 Like

That is excellent. We were supposed to get a greenhouse in April, I may have to suggest building our own to my husband :wink:

2 Likes