What's been your favourite plant this year?

The plant you keep going back to and can’t wait to see how it’s growing and changing? I think mine has to be Persicaria ‘September Spires’, I love this plant so much and because it’s a late flowerer, there’s more anticipation (the pink spiky thing behind the Verbena bonariensis below.

3 Likes

Do you have a photo? Impossible question for me to answer, because it changes with the season… look forward to tulips, then poppies, day lilies, crocosmia… they all have their moment!

3 Likes

In a year with too many disappontments (thanks wind and odd weather!!) the salvias have been a big hit this year.

Nachtvlinder has been a great success. I got it at a plant fair last year and it weaves itself through the bed just throwing up flowers - no big clump, just lots of flowers poking up all over.

And Amistad: I got this at Easton Ealled Garden and planted it with trepidation (very exposed windy garden). So I coddled it with a clump of straw over the winter and it has been gorgeous, flowering for months. I even succeeded in getting three cuttings rooted and planted out and they are flowering, too. Excellent value and such a lovely, rich colour.

For herbs: chamomile. I got a small packet of seeds, planted out the tiny plants and I have a drift of little daisies that the insects love and I now have a jar or chamomile tissane to share (I like builders tea, lol)

2 Likes

That’s useful to know about the chamomile seed. I’d like to plant a tapestry lawn but will have to grow it from seed as plug plants will be too expensive! Thank you :slight_smile:

Turkish Rocket because a) the slugs haven’t eaten it and b) I tasted the flower shoots for the first time. Better than Purple Sprouting Broccoli. Honestly.

Lots of pointy green leaves in a raised bed

1 Like

Glad to hear! Just be aware that there are two types of chamomile: Lawn or Roman (Chamaemelum nobile) is a perennial ground cover and smells sweet when trod on - fewer flowers but thicker folliage. German or false (Matricaria recutita) is an annual that can grow 60cm and self-seeds. I grew the annual one from seed, as it makes more flowers for harvesting :wink:

And I never know that about the Turkish Rocket flower shoots - something def to try!!

2 Likes

Yes, I grew the perennial originally and nearly spat the resulting tea out! Blurgh!

My peony, Bowl of Beauty. Gorgeous.

1 Like

I’ve just added a photo into my post :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! Lovely, and not a plant I know