What will you be sowing or planting in August?

I have a few hydrangeas I want to try, so I’m planting them now to give them a chance to grow some roots before winter. Though I’ll keep an eye on them to keep them well watered. Our soil is moisture retentive but the compost rootballs come sometimes dry out in summer before the roots spread wider. I’m also sowing my last summer vegetable crops (more peas, salads, Florence fennel and beetroot).

2 Likes

In August as now I’ll be gazing in dismay at the chaotic mess aka cottage garden in my front and back gardens. Once I start to cut back the jumble I’ll be left with big gaps. If I then plant new stuff in those gaps, those new plants will be completely smothered when the original stuff regrows. I’ll never see them again. Hmmmm

3 Likes

I am sowing dill and parsley in any empty patch, and rapini whereever I can protect it from bugs. Rapini rocks.

2 Likes

I want to be on top of late summer sowing this year (for once!) So I have some salads, oriental greens, lambs lettuce and more kales for veg. I have been collecting seed from my poppies, sweet william, aquilegia, calendula, etc. so I am using those to fill in areas needing a splash of colour.

I am also playing with propgating some existing plants - I already have replacements for my rosemary tree and sage shrub. I may try some lavender and salvia cuttings, as well. Love free stuff :partying_face: OH was very excited by the geranium success we had earlier this year and even he is keen to have a go.

My new salix will be going in, once I am sure it has cooled down a we bit.

3 Likes

I also have some hydrangeas to plant, that I rooted from cuttings.I will plant in one of the few shady areas in our garden. Also, trying to plant up my woodland garden, to fill the gaps. I am gradually weeding out wild garlic and am planting, asters, geraniums, echinops- all grown from seed. Basically I am planting anything I have, as it is a huge area and I need to cover the ground. Not much planning taking place, I am afraid, but I am working on the basis that plants are better than weeds! Although it is eventually going to be woodland, there is not much shade, as the trees are too small and it is a south facing slope, which currently gets baked in the summer, hence not many shade loving plants yet either!

3 Likes

@juliequinn - hmm, I guess it’s either a case of them keeping the tide of the other plants back, or growing the new ones on in pots first to a larger size.

@MattStockholm2021 - I don’t think I’ve ever grown rapini, I must try it one day! My parsley seeds didn’t grow this year sadly.

@Belovedporcupine - that all sounds very fun, it’s great that there’s still so much to grow and propagate at this time of year. It’s easy to forget to do it after spring but I’m glad when I do. Especially cuttings, I really enjoy those for some reason. I guess it’s because we usually multiply the plants we really like and know perform well in our gardens.

@Jules - that sounds great. I’m doing the same approach really in our own garden. I tried doing a plan but couldn’t yet so I’m just growing and planting and that I find fun itself as it generates lots of exciting new things we wouldn’t have thought of. For the hydrangea cutting, did you take it last year as a hard wood cutting or some other way? I might give that a go with the new ones arriving today, which I’m excited about. We have a little woodland that is still quite young but is creating dense shade beneath it now. It’s mainly a productive coppice but I’d like to increase the amount of shade loving wildflowers there. I’m already collecting foxglove seeds and keeping an eye open for choice ferns!

3 Likes

Jules, I agree putting some planting in (even if temporary) is better than weeds - they love bare ground! Planning can come as the garden develops. And any plants that you do like can be shifted around, as and when required.

Be sure to take pictures, so you can see the results of your hard work over time. It changes so fast!

3 Likes

Can’t remember- I think some are soft wood from last year and some hard wood this year. I really should start labelling! Foxgloves are also on my list- some merrily self seeding and some I grew myself…

1 Like

I am getting into the habit of taking photos,as it is good to look back at what was and look at what it is now. Can’t wait to get to the stage where I can simply be moving plants around!

2 Likes