What tomatoes are you growing this year?

I’m growing ‘Green Zebra’ and ‘Sungold’ again, alongside all of the others mentioned in my new newsletter (for subscribers). And wondering what tomatoes are on the cards for everyone :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Well, I kind of over bought on the tomato front, lol. Out of a list of 12 potentials, I chose
Opalka
Ukraine Purple
Costoluto Fiorentino
Pink Tiger
Sweet Aperitif
Honeycomb
Barbastro

So a mix of big ‘uns for sauces and soups and little ‘uns for salads and sharing.They will be grown in Quadgrows in the greenhouse ( v windy here!)

2 Likes

Wow, Ukraine Purple looks wonderful! Shiny purple.

I tried to get a good mix of colours and flavours. All together they should look like a rainbow in a bowl, hopefully! I do think I am part magpie, I love the colours.

Anyone else have theit tom list?

I plan to go wild and try just lots of different tomatoes, will grow some from seed and get additional varities from garden store just to have a few types of surprise tomatoes. Our allotment club has annual “seedling swapping days”, so I hope to get a few different kinds there too. Last summer, I grew some plum tomatoes from seeds from a supermarket tomato, and they turned out really good and massively productive.

4 Likes

I’ve had really bad luck with my tomatoes on the allotment for 2 years running - they keep getting blight, so I’m growing them in my tiny garden, instead and sticking to tiny red cherry tomatoes, as I haven’t had much luck with larger ones. I manage to grow seedlings really successfully and sold a whole bunch to my local organic food and veg shop last year - hopefully they do better in other people’s spaces than my own!

4 Likes

Hi, I know what you mean - you see them coming on and getting bigger, anticipation growing - and then blight :persevere:. My OH took pity and bought me a greenhouse so I did not have the grief. But I have also done hanging baskets with cherry toms and very successful they were! I may do some little 'uns in pots this year in addition to the bigger GH ones, just because it is fun and they are so lovely.

3 Likes

I am a amateur when it comes to tomato growing but having a proper bash at it this season. I’m growing Money Maker and Stupice. I also have some free seeds from a magazine which I may try

How many tomato plants does everyone try and grow, I only have a smallish home allotment so may keep them in the plastic covered grow house or is this not right ???

Hi!

I am an amateur too - for the last 50 years :laughing: I think tomatoes are great fun as there are so many shapes, sizes, colours and flavours to choose from!

I have heard of people growing huge numbers of plants, like 50! - I cook and preserve a LOT, and I grow 6-8 plants for two of us and have plenty to share. I just used my last pasta sauce from the freezer this week (and I had not put away as much as I normally do). I guess it depends on how much you like tomatoes and how many will eat them :grin: There is also the consideration of where you put the plants until they can go outside - I have a large (heated) sunroom in the back of my house and it is filled with seedlings at the moment. If I didn’t have this, it would be very difficult to ensure that they stayed warm enough and had sufficient light until they go to the greenhouse.

I am in Cambridgeshire and would not plant out tomatoes in the garden soil before June (I am in a very exposed fen garden). But under cover, I plant out in the greenhouse in May, keeping an eye out for the odd chill, when fleece and old duvet covers come into play!

Mostly, I learned by having a go, making notes of what I did so I can repeat it or do better next time. And if you store any leftover seeds well, they will last for a few years, for the next time.

Good luck and have fun!

1 Like

Thank you for that @Belovedporcupine

I posted a question in a new forum about some onions I have shared a pic of. You views will be greatly appreciated and help me out massively :+1:t4::+1:t4::+1:t4:

Glad you found it helpful!

Sorry, but I am hopeless with onions. As I live surrounded by fields of onions, potatoes, and carrots, I don’t tend to grow them :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like