What plant in your garden attracts the most bees?

Salvia ‘Amistad’ flowers for most of the year in our garden and it is never ‘without bee’, it’s visited by so many including various bumblebee species and honey bees, that I’ve noticed so far. Especially in the early winter months.

1 Like

I have a “lavender hedge” which has been covered in bees all summer. The bees also enjoyed my borage plants.

1 Like

I agree. I have a few Amistad which haven’t all survived winters but they flower from mid summer thru to Dec or Jan. When they thrive they really thrive.

1 Like

Oh yes, borage and lavender are really loved by many species of bee :honeybee:

I agree with all of the above (although I have a lavender hedging, so that wins on quantity of bees seen). I trim the lavenders late (yesterday!), as the goldfinches mob it for seeds, too. Borage wins on late flowering with Salvia Amistad - both are still flowering well here.

1 Like

This year I have left my patch of wild rocket to flower and the bees were on it all the time…usually I trim it all back when I can’t harvest it anymore but I shall be more conscious of keeping it going for the bees.

1 Like

That’s lovely to know about the goldfinches as well :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed this a lot with other veggies, if some our left to flower they can be very popular with pollinators.

1 Like

I went back and checked my garden diary and apart from herbs and fruits trees (very popular), the big bee magnet is my comfrey patch. It vibrates with happy bees when in flower. Just be sure to use the Bocking 14 variety, which is sterile and won’t fill your garden with unwanted comfrey invaders! Lovely to watch the bees and you also have a fab source of homemade fertiliser, to boot.

1 Like

Yes, I have bocking 14 and it is very popular!

Hi all.
From very early in the season, March in North Yorkshire the best plant for bees is Tulip turkestanica. It should be compulsory in gardens for early bees.

3 Likes

sounds lovely idea to plant early bulbs - great for dull days too.

1 Like

Ooh, yes! Great shout. I planted these last year after you suggested them and love them. I’m hoping they’ll start multiplying now.