What does your garden look like in April 2020?

Post a photo or two of your garden right now so we can track progress!

Here’s mine, I recently remodelled it a bit to allow everything to go direct into the ground rather than in pots. Everything is growing nicely, some slowly, some fast. It won’t be until May before it really gets going. Next year I’ll have more spring flowers so it’s a little bare this year.

2 Likes

Here is mine! I have a new bed full of interesting perennials on the left in the first picture. The other beds (further on the left, on the right and at the bottom of the garden) are all more established. The second picture shows my new water troughs - they and a couple of empty pots are ready to receive dahlias growing on in my little greenhouse. I’ve tried dahlias in the ground before but they’ve always been decimated by snails/slugs - any tips for that as well as the squirrels which just won’t leave my pots alone very welcome!

3 Likes

I don’t even think about dahlias as for me too they are eaten to s slimy stump within 12 hours of planting. Me too with the squirrels. They destroyed the majority of my tulips in pots even tho I have chicken wire on the pots. They just ate the bulbs and all the growth that came up. I was left with very few. My only plan is to only plant them in the front garden not the back.

1 Like

It’s hopeless isn’t it! I’ve tried planting some pretty anemone and ranunculus tubers as pot fillers, and I reckon half of them have gone (not that the squirrels eat them - they just chew them and chuck them to the side!). Thankfully they leave tulip bulbs in the ground alone (they do occasionally decapitate the actual tulips…) - and for pots I’ve found chicken wire works.

As for dahlias, I highly recommend you try them in pots - much easier to defend from the snail onslaught…

1 Like

4 Likes

Back garden is above, paved with the big umbrella. Below is the front garden

2 Likes

Your garden(s) look great! I’m definitely aiming for the full look of your front garden. And will take inspiration from your tulip pots - did some for the first time this year and definitely want more next year. I love the ones in the front pot, what are they?

1 Like

Looks fab, already really full and lovely blossoms on either side!

1 Like

Good tips, I used to grow dahlias in pots, dahlias of all sizes, and they grow really well in them. Bulbs is all about depth to avoid squirrels, difficult to do in pots I find sadly.

1 Like

So good Julie, love the bricks, summerhouse and the coordinated tulips and parasol! :smile:

Thanks Jack. I do love terracotta colour. The summerhouse is actually a corner shed full, really full of junk and stuff.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your comment. I think they’re Orange Princess. They’re doubles and 2/3 heads per stem.

3 Likes

I’ve posted 2 pics …

The 1st is of the lawn which I have tried to getting as best as possible without spending too much.

The 2nd is of my home allotments with 6 raised beds, 4 of which I managed to get free from a factory which were throwing a load of timber in a skip. I also made 2 from timber which I grow peas in.

The front and back garden are fully slabbed. I also have a compost bin which I may post pics as I think I’m missing a trick in breaking down the organic matter :+1:t4::+1:t4::+1:t4::100:

3 Likes

All I have for now is this group of pots. Have sown some seedlings for another lot of pots but that’s nowhere near ready yet :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Everyone’s garden looks great! We should do this for May too!

this is what it looks like now

3 Likes