What are your favourite Apple cultivars to grow?

I was just wondering what everyone’s favourite apples are? I’m researching some new ones to grow in our exposed spot in the Pennines. In the past down south I loved Falstaff and Katy. And in shops I like Jazz apples, I like that crunchy sweet flavour rather than the softer cloudy ones myself. I’ll share the varieties I settle on soon.

It’s been some time since we left Jorvik (ancestors, not me personally, except for those who chose to stay) but I would recommend to try some apples that are popular in the North - Transparent blanche for one. Choose apples with cool names. Choose apples with a story.

1 Like

I agree about names and stories. If I had to choose one favourite it might be James Grieve, because one grew in the garden of my first childhood home (and as small child I was struck that a tree shared the first name of my best friend), and it’s a good apple. Bred in Edinburgh, so might it be robust enough for the Pennines? (Another one I remember the name of from the childhood garden was Beauty of Bath–I always wondered what an apple tree had to do with a bath tub–but for some reason I haven’t grown that, but perhaps should make room for one). I’d always grow a russet–we have a Herefordshire Russett.
I planted 8 step-over apples along a path, with a mix of early, mid- and late-season apples, but disappointingly they all seem to crop within a couple of weeks of each other–maybe because the later croppers get a bit more sun? I’d love to find a reliably late cropper.

2 Likes

I also agree with names and places. Our previous dog was named Harvey and as a consequence we chose a Dr Harvey cooking apple to replace an old (probable) Bramley apple tree which blew down several years ago. The cooking apples from the Dr Harvey were excellent flavour and didn’t need added sugar (or sweetener) in an apple pie. Unfortunately the tree only lasted five years as it succumbed to collar rot but in its brief life gave us loads of apple pies. Numerous holidays in North Wales lead us to plant a Bardsey apple also chosen for its good disease resistance. It has a lovely flavour but doesn’t store for that long. Last year we planted a Rosemary Russet apple tree as we like russet apples and we liked the alliteration in the name. We also have an Evereste crab-apple which has lovely flowers and fruit but that was chosen purely because we liked the look of it.

2 Likes

What a lovely suggestion, I have to admit I was so focussed on the best cultivars for our climate or flavour, I hadn’t really thought about a deeper meaning to them as well. I will consider this while I’m looking from now on, thank you. I’ve really enjoyed reading your stories of the apples you’ve chosen!

2 Likes

Hi jack
You have to get a Howgate Wonder. Can be used for cooking or eating. It’s a juicy, crunchy whopper that grows well in Yorkshire.

3 Likes