What are you looking forward to growing in 2021?

At the moment I’m really focussed on reorganising the vegetables and fruits I grow, I want to give self-sufficiency a real shot in 2021. Flowers wise, I want to grow a lot more Thalictrum.

2 Likes

I’ve never got round to growing anything edible at all. Today I cleared a small border in my sunniest spot. Am tentatively thinking about growing something useful. But what???

3 Likes

Ooh, that’s exciting! Nothing like a cleared blank border and all the possibilities and excitement of watching it grow. Do you grow herbs already?

1 Like

Grow what you like to eat… and which look pretty! I was very inspired by Joy Larkham’s ‘Creative Vegetable Gardening’ long before I had space to grow anything!

2 Likes

I’ve was given a herb seed advent calendar with a different packet of organic seeds for every day (it’s German!)… so looks like my herb growing will be exponentially huge in 2021!

In terms of veg, I’m going to write a list of what I want to grow before I start looking at seed ‘catalogues’ (online)… otherwise I get first overwhelmed & then carried away!

3 Likes

Oh a lifetime of crushed hopes re herbs. We found the only one we ever eat is thyme so I have lots of that. And I love oregano as a decorative plant in a pot, that does brilliantly. As for mint. Oh deary me.

1 Like

Good point. I’m thinking raspberries.

3 Likes

In 2021 I’m planning on growing what was a success and really making a go with the tomatoes, cucumber and peas with seriously failed me this year mainly my fault because I was lazy in training them vertically. Hopefully I’ll grow chillies in the greenhouse with tomatoes and aubergines

1 Like

My favoutite part (apart from harvesting/cutting). OK, I am one of those very sad people that makes lists… so I did a seed inventory and have ordered all of my seeds forthe next next year.

New edibles: Purple Ukrainian tomato & Jabobs Cattle Golden beans (Real Seeds), Tomato Opalka & Honeycomb (Nickys), Numex Garnet pepper (Victoriana - to make smoked paprika!), Squash Black Futsu. Also going to do more (cool) chillies Trinidad Perfume & Poblano, Emerald Ice kale, and chamomile as they were very good do-ers for me. I have lots of fruit trees/shrubs/canes but hope my Kiwi Isaai finally delivers the goods!

Flowers: already ordered and planted three new DA roses: Fightimg Temeraire, Princess Alexandra of Kent, and LD Braithewaite (a duplicate for us). From seed: Carthisian pinks (I saw them in a wild-ish walled garden), Malope (was recc as a beneficial insect flower), and Aster Duchess (for cutting -hopefully!). Also going to dot some phaecella seedlings about in wilder areas as the hoverflies loved it last year.

I am also planning on growing some plants for a perennial wildflower area (prunella, yellow rattle- planted, viper’s bugloss, oxeye daisy, + bulbs) my OH has “mapped out”.

I am sure I will still be tempted by even more dahlias and (again, hopefully!) get to plant sales with yummy offerings.

1 Like

That is quite a fantastic list! Very exciting. I like the sound of the tomatoes :slight_smile:

Hopefully a really nice Peony or Fritilarea yellow, all been in the ground for weeks now.

2 Likes

Well hooray I have a greenhouse up now…only a tiny one 6x4 but SO excited…because it means I can grow more from seed and not have seeds all around the house on windowsills!!..

so list for 2021

Early crop of potatoes - no idea what I am doing with potatoes…I think they go in 6 weeks before frost is expected to cease (so Feb)…everyone I speak to has a different opinion on that one. I shall refer to more books!

Kale shoots - all year
Basil - all year (still have some in the kitchen sown last March)
Dill - all year - never tried this but we shall see!
Italian plum tomatoes (great for passata if there are too many)
edible flower mix (calendula nasturtium dianthus and viola)
peppers (antohi romanian, golden bell, friggitello, jalapeno, hungarian hot wax and red cherry)
sweetcorn (failure in this last year - nothing came up at all)
PS broccoli
wildflower mix
‘normal’ peppers mixed colours
candy cane red peppers f1
lettuce (lots of variety)
carrots maestro
rainbow beetroot
spinach beet (perpetual spinach)
french marigolds
courgette - I might get yellow ones this year as well as green
rainbow carrots - sweet imperator mix
rainbow chard
rainbow blend f1 hybrid tomatoes
heatwave rainbow chillis
bella cucumber
rosella tomato
elephant garlic and red and white onions

would like to order:-
Celeriac
Pak choi
Leeks
Sweetheart cabbage

I think I shall keep tomatoes lettuce and cucumbers at home for ready supply of salad. Boys pick at it when they are outside which is rather good.

Looking at that list you would think I have a thing about rainbows but my sons buy me rainbow seeds for fun so why not?

Looks a lot now I have written it in a list!!

I would like to aim to have one meal a day ‘from the garden’ which includes the hens’ eggs so scrambled egg and garlic & spinach with a couple of tomatoes for lunch would be just the ticket!

What are you growing on your plot for 2021 Jack?

2 Likes

I love the ideas for wild flowers…very keen to keep a corner of garden for wild flowers and longer grass in 2021

1 Like

I’m buying my veggie seeds from a family run company called Seed Co-Operative (https://seedcooperative.org.uk)

Just a tip if anyone is unsure of an assured seed seller

1 Like