Weeding awkward places

Hi,

What is the best way of killing weeds between flags or in other awkward places? (without resorting to chemicals) Ignoring couch grass and mares tail.

1 Like

Hi, a weed burner is a good option, otherwise a weed knife that can be sliced between the slabs, or if weeding a dense border I use a weed slice hoe as its small and sharp with a good reach.

3 Likes

Growing something there that you do want eg Creeping Thyme. I’ve found “editing” quite useful — taking out the plants you don’t want whilst leaving the plants you do

4 Likes

@Nick @forestgardenwales I’ve been doing both those things with our new patio this week, using a weed knife to get the ones I don’t want out and adding those I do - including thyme :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: gonna throw some fennel seeds about tomorrow!

1 Like

That’s such a good idea, scattering Fennel seeds rather than putting in specific plants. Bet it makes for stronger, healthier plants. I’ve also started looking at sowing annuals in the forest garden, in the gaps between the perennials. Providing temporary cover and a bit of colour :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Scattering seeds is great, but I wouldn’t recommend fennel for between patio slabs or on pathways as it gets far too big, it needs to be kept to ground hugging plants. If you want the area to be weed and plant free then pull out as much as you can with and use a weed knife between slabs then pour boiling water on any new growth, if you do it regularly the growth will stop, no plant likes to be boiled on a daily basis :tired_face:

3 Likes

That’s a great tip though I guess it depends what look people are going for - I want some height in places so I’m sowing fennel and verbena bonariensis alongside other plants already growing in the patio. In the usable spaces I’m going for lower plants :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:I can vouch for the boiling water too, it certainly does the trick though you need lots of kettles’ worth lol

1 Like