Sustainable veg growing!

I am in the first year of having my new garden. It is an established but neglected plot with a distressing amount of bindweed.

I want to evolve it, include a pond, wild areas and grow lots of veg and flowers. But recent weather is making me think how I do that sustainably - particularly the veg. I am thinking of including perennial veg and flowers to cut down growing from seed. But what veg can I grow which will cope with out increasingly dry and hotter summers? And where is a good place to source perennial veg plants?

thanks!

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the group, id try and sort the bindweed out as much as possible before planting to much as you don’t want it getting amongst the plants, have a look into forest gardening (you don’t need a forest or woodland) its all about growing edible perennials, in a natural sustainable setting, I am trying to do it myself, most veg can cope with these temperatures but you will need to make sure they are mulched well, to reduce water loss, seep hoses work well for this under a layer of mulch, get water butts to collect rainwater and use that for watering, I have three in total, and a powered pump to plug a hose into, as you have already mentioned a pond is a must but not on bright sunlight dappled shade would be best, this will bring in all your friendly pest eating wildlife, small tree’s fruit trees with underplanting of wildflower mixes will also be beneficial, what an exciting project.
these are good recourses -

good Luck and keep us updated

3 Likes

A lot depends on where you are in the country, garden size, type of soil, soil pH, average amount of rain per year etc. Bindweed is not easy to get rid of organically and may take a few years. Dreaded glycophosphate will get rid of bindweed (and everything else in your garden) but these days I’m not a fan and have learnt to live with many weeds. So tackling the bindweed should give you enough time to plan the garden.

Incredible Vegetables supply both unusual veg seed and plants. Many of which are perennial https://www.incrediblevegetables.co.uk/ . However, they are small and tend to run out of stock.

2 Likes

Thank you both, these are great tips. I reallylove the idea of a forest garden. I have an area with a wild cherry tree that I think would work well to try it out along with a pond. The key is to do it bit by bit. But I’m impatient!

At the moment I am trying to dig out the bindweed as it comes up. But it is in all parts of the garden, including mingled in with mature shrubs and trees, and is prolific in my neighbouring gardens, which are not maintained. So I’m resigned to it being permanently there. But hoping I can manage it down at least!

2 Likes

one option for bindweed is to put frames in or sacrificial plants to encourage the bindweed to grow up them rather than out across the garden, allow them to grow but in a controlled manner, sometimes easier than fighting with them. not everyone’s cup of tea though. good luck

1 Like