Sunflower seedlings

I’m growing some sunflowers… they’ve germinated really well… should I pot them on before planting out?

1 Like

Hmm, that is a GOOD question. I think the answer is that potting them on certainly won’t do them any harm and you can’t really plant them out until June, by which time they will have outgrown those little pots. Personally, I would probably be naughty and not bother, instead growing them on in there until they really do need to go out and then plant them outside earlier - given we live in warm London where we’re very unlikely to get a frost again now.

But if you want the best results and not risk them being eaten by slugs and snails as they languish in colder weather, do pot them up.

1 Like

That’s great - thanks… I was just looking at them again, and thinking I might pot some on, and risk planting others out… a little experiment! Glad you like my garden :blush::wave:t3::pray:t3:

1 Like

Sounds like a great plan, I love an experiment as although you might lose some, potentially it could save you a lot of time in future years if it works!

1 Like

Looking great :heart_eyes: mine are still in my little greenhouse but planning to get them in the ground soon. I heard that putting the cardboard toilet roll inner around the stems is a good way to protect against them being slug dinner so I might give that whirl…

4 Likes