School Allotment

Hello, I am developing an allotment on a school field. I would like to grown things that we could use during school dinners. I have literally no experience in this and keep being overwhelmed by the information on the internet. Please can I be advised on what you would suggest grown, how long that takes to grow and how to maintain the site?

Thank you in advance for any support

Michael

3 Likes

Hi Michael,

That’s a big question and your best bet is to buy or borrow a book on growing edibles. Or follow the grow your own advice in magazine each month.

I’ve written this article about starting on an allotment which is the same thing really:

Take a look at:

RHS through the year book
RHS how to start a garden book
Grow Your Own magazine

Have fun!

Jack

3 Likes

Have you seen this website specifically aimed at schools with advice about growing food? https://www.foodgrowingschools.org/get_involved/planning_garden

Do any of your colleagues have an allotment who could help?

Are there any other schools near you who are a year or two ahead and could give you advice? Or there might be a local community organisation who would help (one that supports / develops food growing projects)… or a grower on a nearby allotment who would love to volunteer - contact the Local Authority Allotment Officer

Basically get help from people who have experience!

1 Like