Problems growing Basil

This year I have attempted to grow Basil for the first time. Each time I sow seeds in a propagator with heated mat I have lots of tiny seedlings. When I pot on they die within 24-48 hours. I only sow basil varieties from Tamar Organics.
Would welcome any advice. Plus is it too late to have another go this year to plant in our polytunnel?
John

1 Like

It’s hard to say without seeing them but it could be that they are too damp and suffering from damping off. I find basil is quite fussy at first and needs lots of light, moisture but also good drainage so that they don’t sit in cold damp compost. It’s tricky. At what point are you potting them on, how many leaves do they have?

I can’t grow basil from seed for the life of me. Can’t grow it outside either. Nowadays I buy one from supermarket, split it into 3 or 4 pots and it grows brilliantly on my window sill and keeps me in pesto for the whole summer. Good luck!

1 Like

Great tip. I find it really likes the warmth and light but also needs just the right amount of water. Not too much, not too little. Tricky customer but worth trying to crack it.

1 Like