Potatoes - earlies - what do you recommend?

I have been told potatoes grow well on the plot and open up the soil as well. I would welcome any recommended ‘early potatoes’… I have purchased some Maris Bard for Jan but would like to trial some other varieties as well.

Your thoughts are most welcome
Rgds
Sarah

1 Like

‘Charlotte’ are cheap to buy but I love them :slight_smile:

Thank you…yes i am sure much fresher too when cooked straight from plot!

1 Like

I’m currently growing King Edward potatoes. They’ve been in the ground for a while now and the shoots are coming up nicely. Be done just in time for Xmas

1 Like

Wow! I had no idea they could be grown now for Christmas. I imagine I am too late this year. When did you plant them and I shall note for next year, what a great thought to have your plot provide for Christmas roasties!

Thank you for this info

Sarah

Yes! It’s the freshness that makes potatoes taste better to me homegrown, they just seem more succulent to me and nuttier.

1 Like

I did a m.

I made a mistake at first and covered them with a fleece netting thinking I was being too clever :joy: and when I took the covering off it appeared the shoots had sweated from the netting.

I can’t remember when I initially planted them. I should keep a note from now on but maybe a hew months back

Next year I plan to keep one raised bed aside purely for the purpose of potato growing and some large buckets I have lying around :+1:t4::+1:t4::+1:t4:

1 Like