Poor bottlebrush - can anyone help?

Hi everyone. Here is bottlebrush tree I got a month ago or so. It had lovely bottlebrushes and was healthy when I received but sadly when potting it I realised it was very pot bound and the pot was pretty small for the size of tree. I teased most of the roots out and gave it a good soak with a hose. I have planted it in a good sunny spot with ericaeous soil and root growth. Unfortunately I can’t see any sign of recovery yet… The inside of the bark is still green though so still fingers crossed. Any ideas to try for recovery? Shall I be pruning?

1 Like

Oh dear, sorry that does not look well at all. I would say most of it is dead. It looks like it has dried out in the hot weather combined with the small rootball. If there is some green you may be lucky with some new shoots but I would prepare yourself for it not making it unfortunately.

Hi, that does look very sad. Bottlebrushes will go crispy if they dry out completely. If it is still green under the bark, you can give it a prune, and it may shoot from there. Give it a weekly watering. If you don’t see any signs of life in a month or so it’s a goner, unfortunately. If however, it has seed pods, you can try growing a new one from seed.
Good luck :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Thanks both. So unfortunate! One last prune to see if anything can be done. Seeds collected a week ago so I think I already knew the outcome… :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Good luck :slight_smile: I hope it springs back to life but if not, that the seeds germinate for you.

He’s a goner guys but lots of other plants to tend to in the garden. :+1:t2::raised_hands:t2::sunny:

1 Like