Please Help Identify

In a wild woodland on mid Vancouver Island. Was run over by dirt bike this spring but seems to have survived.
Is it a ‘Purple Orchid’?

2 Likes

Ooh that’s cool. I’m afraid I’m not sure but it does look like an orchid.

1 Like

More flowers on the wild orchid

Maybe this shot of these tiny purple Orchid flowers is a bit sharper!

Could it be Pacific coral root, Corallorhiza mertensiana?

1 Like

YES! That is absolutely it. A little dot of yellow at the top center of flower and white outline on bottom petal.
Our secluded (dog) walking trail was discovered by dirt bikes. They have cut down trees and branches, cut roots that were across the trail, dug up rocks… a mess. Then when they ride they compress the soil and other thicker roots became proud making it all a more difficult walk.
This wee patch of an Orchid was spotted a few years ago and had twigs and logs around it to protect it. The trail ‘designers’ wanted to move the logs so they ended up tramping on orchid area… but just before it was fully up, I guess. Today I saw a broken one and a smaller weak one.

2 Likes

Sent the same picture two times earlier. This is the one I thought might be sharper.

1 Like

Hooray! Glad to know what it is. That sounds awful about the trail, are they quite common plants or rare? Hopefully the colony survives.

We think fairly rare. I have walked dogs all over Fanny Bay (B.C. - east Vancouver Island) since 2014 and not ‘noticed’ one before. But not all areas are woodsy like this.

1 Like