Pelargonium (geranium) overwintering

Hi, each year I’m optimistic that my pelargoniums will survive outside overwinter because I’m in a small terraced house in the middle of a city & have v little frost. But they really suffer and / or die.

This year I’m bringing them inside. Two questions:

1. How much should I water them?
    2.Will they be OK in a warm, centrally heated room?

Looking forward to the hive brain advice!

2 Likes

I would have thought they would be fine inside as long as not directly next to the radiator. They do tend to prefer to be on the drier side so personally I would let the compost almost completely dry out before watering. Keep an eye on the leaves as they’ll tell you quite quickly if they are too dry by wilting or starting to crisp up.

2 Likes

Good to read this as I have two Lord Bute ones that I hope to keep over winter, also in a small sheltered city garden that doesn’t get very frosty. Should I keep them in the shed or bring them indoors. I’ll see what all the replies say.

1 Like

I’ve found that most pelargoniums survive outside in our London garden if kept close to the house in pots and window boxes, I have about four different types that have been happy like that for years.

Brilliant to hear that - I shall tuck them by the warm brick wall of the house at once. Still very warm here in N6. best wishes to all. Julie

1 Like