Peat free compost - which brands do you trust enough to buy in 2023?

I’m interesting in everyone’s preferences and which peat free compost you will by going for based on your experiences.

For me, I still trust Sylvagrow, Dalefoot, Fertile Fibre, New Horizon, Miracle Grow and our local supplier.

2 Likes

I used Sylvagrow for the first time this year and it worked very well both for growing on seedlings and for pots.

1 Like

Thanks Jan, hope the garden has been good this year :blush:

It has thank you! In Northumberland we haven’t had the really high temperatures there have been in the rest of the country. We have had to do a lot of watering though as our garden has been “re-done” this year so lots of new planting. All in all a good year. :smiley:

1 Like

Dalefoot, Miracle Grow and Heart of Eden have all been good. I’m hesitant in using Sylvagrow again as a I had a bad bag causing a load of problems earlier this year. Staff at RHS Hyde Hall had the same problem with Sylvagrow so I doubt if it was anything I did wrong.

1 Like

Silvagrow all the way. Not too pricey. I’ve had only one bad batch in several years, which had a lot of white fungal growth in it so used as a mulch instead. Otherwise, consistantly good.

1 Like

@paulfletcher yes I think this is a known thing for spring this year but very unlike them as they’re usually the most trusted. I’l probably stick with them so I’ll let you know how what it’s like next spring.

@Fiona Yeah I’ve had the same experience with them, I think my bag was from the previous year, it wasn’t actually that bad, just not how it normally is

1 Like

I primarily use Sylvagrow, and Dalefoot, but that’s harder to get hold of in my area.

2 Likes