No Dig Help Needed

Hi All

We took over an allotment this year and whilst we’ve had lots of successes, the weeds drive me crazy! I’m going to go with the no dig method now but wondered if anyone had any advice about the plants that are already there that I want to keep, mostly strawberries and herbs.

If I cardboard and compost around them will they survive or die off like the weeds.

Thanks

3 Likes

As long as they aren’t covered, they will be fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks you - I thought that would be the case but wanted to check before I killed everything off!!

Cheers

1 Like

Next “no dig” question if that’s ok, If I’ve got a bed with tall weeds that need cutting before I lay the cardboard and cover it, or things like tomato plants and sweet corn plants that are finished for the season, should I leave the cuttings in that bed and cover or put them
In the compost bin?

Thanks

1 Like

Either is fine :slight_smile: Whichever you prefer really. I tend to cut them down and cover the lot. You might want to put any with seeds on them on the bonfire instead, and any roots of the perennial ones too - I wouldn’t put roots or plants with seeds on in the compost bin myself, or leave them on the ground, otherwise you’ll end up propagating more :slight_smile:

1 Like