New veggie grower, question regarding kale

The leaves on my kale are quite large. Can I start harvesting? It’s just the outside leaves, isn’t it?

Take the oldest leaves so the ones on the outside and bottom. Use a pair of snips so you don’t rip into the stem. Just leave the centre growing apex alone and you can harvest for a long time! :slight_smile:

Handy picture I found on google! But I would maybe not harvest so close to the centre, leave a few mature leaves to keep the plant healthy.

3 Likes

Thank you, that’s so helpful. I think I’ve got quite a few larger leaves ready to harvest in that case. It’s quite interesting, I’ve got one row of Kale in the bed with the wooden surround and there’s no slug damage at all on that crop but just about 2ft away we improvised by making a small area with a brick surround & planted cavolo nero and those plants have been ravaged!

Hmm… that is very interesting. Maybe you can use those as sacrificial plants?

1 Like

That seems to be what’s happening!

That’s a great pic! I agree, not to harvest quite so close, leave enough leaves to create energy for the plant to grow.

2 Likes

Thank you, Jack. Successfully harvested some leaves. Was given 10 (!!) kale plants. Realised I don’t really like it!

2 Likes

Oh no! Wish I was closer to you. Would totally take them off your hands :wink:

1 Like

:grin: I’m going to have to be a bit more inventive with my recipes. Fortunately OH & slugs seem to be enjoying it!
This is my first ever time of growing vegetables & we’ve only made 2 x 4’ raised beds so I’ll be a bit more selective with what I grow next year.

1 Like

I think everyone goes through that! I got my plot last year and essentially grew mostly swiss chard and zucchini. I didn’t know two zucchini plants are too much for one person! Also, while swiss chard grows beautifully, low maintenance and lives through our winters, I’ve learned I don’t like them that much … :sweat_smile:

2 Likes