New Allotmenter!

Hi all! I got my half plot allotment about a month ago…yes, a big weedy field! I’ve marked out where beds/shed/greenhouse will go. Got stuck straight in, just finished clearing my 2nd small bed. I have one very large bed that I have just covered, and will see what’s happening under there near spring time.
I’ve done a few small bits in my garden before, so this is very exciting, and I’m looking forward to seeing tips from people here x

4 Likes

Hi Harris! Welcome to the community and also congratulations on the new plot and for making such a brilliant start on it! It really is exciting, please keep us all updated as you go :slight_smile: we love hearing how people’s plots develop over time!
Jack

1 Like

2 Likes

How exciting! There will be lots of work but also loads of enjoyment ahead :wink: What are you hoping to grow?

1 Like

I have a plan drawn up. Potatoes, carrots onions, kale, spinach/chard, sweet corn, beetroot. Greenhouse for tomatoes etc. I have a bed for rhubarb. Put some broad beans in that have just started to sprout this morning!! :grin::grin: x

1 Like

Wow, you are on a roll! Keep up the good works and give us an update when you can :wink:

1 Like

Wow looks awesome!! Great to get some overwintering crops like broadbeans in. Whoop!

1 Like

Looks amazing! How exciting. I always recommend people new to allotments check out Charles Dowding website / videos / books… loads of inspiring advice done in a very gentile way… even if you don’t do No Dig (though I’d recommend it!), he still has loads of useful advice. With such a huge plot, I’d focus on doing part of it next year, rather than feel you gave to cultivate the whole lot in one go. Good Luck

2 Likes

‘Gentle’ Not ‘gentile’ :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Thank you! I’m trying no dig on a very large bed. I have dug out a couple of smaller beds to get a couple of things in over the winter. I will take a look at the website!

1 Like