New Allotment Mystery Plant - Bryony

Hi, we’ve just taken on an allotment (yesterday) and there is this plant which I’d like to know the identity of before it possibly gets ripped out.

Does anyone know what it is?

2 Likes

:thinking: really don’t know! It looks familiar. Edimentals on Facebook is a really great group for edible ornamentals and perennial vegetables, would give them a go :slight_smile:

Oh weird and cool! Where abouts are you, are you in the UK? It looks a little like a wild cucumber Marah oreganus but the leaf isn’t quite right.

Have you ever grown unusual cucumbers or gourds?

I get it on my allotment sometimes and I think it’s called briony. It’s quite pretty when it flowers but I was told it’s poisonous.

1 Like

I’m in the UK, Leicester.

1 Like

Just googled Bryony and the flowers are identical. Thank you! Do you think it’s something I need to get rid of? Don’t know if I want something potentially poisonous on the allotment.

1 Like

I asked the hive brain aka Twitter - here’s more info. about it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryonia_dioica

Unless you’re going to eat the seeds… or treat leprocy, I’d get rid of it & plant something more useful!

1 Like

Thanks everyone. Just managed to get advice from a BBC gardening person on radio Leicester. Get rid, dig it out and burn it!

1 Like

Make sure that you dig it out - the stems break easily, and look really weedy, but it has a whacking great root. Took us about 4 years to get rid of it. We’d turn out back for 5 minutes, and it would be back!

2 Likes