Multi Sowing Vegetables - which vegetables to multi sow?

Hi all

Just a quick,

I’ve ordered some new seed trays, some with propagation lids and some not. I was wondering, as I’ve seen videos online, whether multi Sowing is a good and optimal option, for example,

Multi sowing carrots (3 or 4) in a single pod. Would they have to be prick them out after or could i just pop it as it is into my raised once they’ve established.

Thanks all and Merry Xmas :christmas_tree:

1 Like

It is a good option but not essential. I’ve always multisown some and change the crops I do this with each year depending on the result I want. The rule is fairly straight forward that by growing some together closely you’ll get a greater number but they will be smaller in general as they share nutrients, light and water.

So it depends what you want to happen. If you want to grow lots of small carrots quickly, it’s worth doing. If you’d prefer larger carrots, space them out. Or, do a mix of both. Multi sow and thin out some of the smaller ones early on leaving the others to grow larger.

With carrots make sure they are covered with fleece to protect from carrot fly, which they will be more prone to being close together and thinning them will release the scent from leaves attracting them.

Other crops you can do this with tend to be most of the roots, beetroot especially, onions, leeks, turnips etc.

1 Like

Thanks @jackwallington

I think my intention will be to multi sow many of the vegetables but not tomatoes, cucumber, aubergines as I consider them to be more delicate and I would love to individually grow them as either I struggled this year through bad practice or never tried growing them.

I have some larger seed trays arriving this week and some propagating ones ready for the new growing season.

I call it stockpiling :wink:

1 Like

Yes absolutely correct approach, don’t multi sow plants that produce lots of crops on them like tomatoes as you’ll get a higher yield from the individual plants. It’s only really worth doing with the root or root-like vegetables.

1 Like

Thanks mate

I’ve just read your blog about buying seeds online hahaha

I’ve just put my order in and shut the book :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Haha I haven’t ordered mine yet, I’m waiting for that spendathon over Christmas!

1 Like

RE multi-sowing… my advice comes from Charles Dowding (apologies for mentioning him again - but he’s my vegetable-growing-guru) who suggests multi-sowing a range of veg in modules for later planting out such as leeks, beetroot, spring onions - the theory is that planted in clumps you can pick one from the clump and the others will continue growing - link to video about multi-sown leeks here

3 Likes

Yes @RuthHenrietta I watch his videos all the time too and he’s given me many hints and ideas. I have just received my seed order and I will be multi sowing quite a few things too :+1:t4::+1:t4::+1:t4:

2 Likes