Is anyone familiar with Taxus x media Hicksii/Hillii?

I’m planning to order some yew plants to create a low hedge and in looking at nursery websites have read about Taxus media, which is a hybrid variety I wasn’t aware of before. It sounds as though it would be a good choice for a low hedge, however it is not as widely available as Taxus baccata, and generally less choice of size etc. I’m wondering whether it would be such a better choice over common yew that it’s worth compromising on the size/availability and I would be interested to know if anyone has any experience of using it.

1 Like

Interesting. I haven’t grown or planted this variety before, for low hedges I went with repandens, one that spreads outwards more than up. The descriptions I’ve seen of ‘Hicksii’ makes it sound more suitable to taller hedges and columns - but that’s just from the websites I’ve looked at.

Ah, that’s an interesting further optio, thank you for the tip. What sort of height hedges have you used repandens for? I’m aiming for something between 2 and 3 feet, though at one end would like it be a bit taller either side of a path - so perhaps it wouldn’t be right for that. And in looking for photos of repandens hedges I saw some more images of Hicksii hedges, some of which looked less sharp/even at the sides, perhaps because its more upright growth habit doesn’t allow such a good cut. Perhaps I should stick with what I know…though it’s tempting to try a new plant too!

1 Like

Ah the hedges I’ve used it for are only 50cm - so probably best to stick the one you chose. It will be interesting to hear how it goes.

I’ll report back! (And perhaps will try to find somewhere for a low yew hedge so I can try the repandens at some point…)

1 Like