I have a cordyline Australis

I have a Cordyline Australis which is about 10ft tall. Due to recent snow and frost the top leaves have all now drooped down, although lower shoots appear fine. I’m not sure if the crown has been permanently damaged and whether to leave it to see what happens or cut it down to above the lower shoots. Any advice please

1 Like

I’m sure it’s fine, their leaves do droop downwards naturally as they get older :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply. I have had it for 8 years and every hew months I take off the leaves which have dropped down and gone brown, but there has always been leaves standing up at the crown. Now it has all dropped from the crown and it is going yellow. I think the cold may have killed it . I’m attaching a photo.

1 Like

Oh I see what you mean - yes that does look like the growing point has died. What you do next depends on what height you would like it to be at. You could leave it and wait to see where new shoots come from in spring or summer, or cut now to a desired height.

Essentially, it will re-shoot from its highest living point. I cut back ours once to about half way and it had lots of new shoots appearing where I cut. So, with yours, it will be the same except if you leave it, it will shoot at the highest point near the old growing point where it is still alive.

I have one that has been taken right back to ground level by frost a couple of times. Once it shooter back the same year, and once I swear it skipped a year and then came back the next summer.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses. I will probably cut it down to above the side shoots which are about half way down the trunk. Think I will wait until the weather has warmed up a bit until I do it though.

1 Like

That sounds sensible otherwise it might cause more harm in February’s colder weather. Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

Will do🌴 I will take a photo to show you, fingers crossed I don’t kill it!!

1 Like

I’m sure you won’t :slight_smile: