How to temporarily stabilise soil?

I’m removing a small sycamore from a steeply sloped bed. The plan is to plant Vinca minor as a ground cover, which will also help stabilise the soil. However, what’s the best way to stabilise the soil until the vinca gets established, I don’t want it to get washed away!

Steep slope next to wall

1 Like

Hi - my idea is to put down some permeable membrane around your new plants. Peg it down with wooden stakes and place some stones at the base. This will allow your new plants to establish, stop weeds forming in the otherwise bare soil (sorry Jack) and stop a ‘soil slide’! Best wishes with it :sunflower:

2 Likes

You can buy degradable string netting to do this. I’m sorry but I don’t know the name of it but I’ve seen it used a lot near motorways. I think it’s either a string mech or hessian.

Like this: https://www.fabricuk.com/fabrics/1328-hessian-scrim-netting.html

1 Like

:joy: don’t worry, stopping weeds is also important! :smile:

1 Like

That’s just what I’m looking for, thank you :slight_smile:. I need to be able to plant through it, and for it to eventually degrade.

1 Like

Brill, I guess pegging with wood somehow will help with the degradability. Will be interesting too hear how it goes!

1 Like

Wooden pegs, another fine idea! I think the cheap metal ones would degrade as well? Though not sure about their chemical composition. Will let you know how it goes; if I get the go-ahead, it won’t be starting until August.

1 Like

Sounds like a great project, I’m very interested as I’ve never actually had an opportunity to do this myself but know from seeing it first hand and chatting to other gardeners it works well.

1 Like

Just had the go ahead a few days ago, very exciting project. There’s also a green roof as part of a seating structure. I’ve never designed a green roof before, so reading up on John Little’s Green Roof DIY guide, which is a bit of a life-saver! I do like his work actually, loads of reclaimed material, public and wildlife gardening. Will let you know how it goes!

2 Likes