How to deal with flea beetle?

I was wondering how everyone deals with flea beetle? We never really had it on my old allotment. They’ve suddenly appeared on my new allotment salad crops. Not a massive problem but making holes in the leaves. I read that sticky traps are an option but I don’t want to trap good insects too. Perhaps I just wait for whatever eats them to find them?

1 Like

Flea beetles are a common problem in the north. On my allotment, they even attack the leaves of wasabi (which is a kind of Brassica). They like sunny dry weather. Spray the plants with water, that will help a little. Otherwise, best start liking leaves with neat round holes.

1 Like

I’m in Kent and the blighters are certainly here! Does put me off somewhat. I’ll try spraying the leaves with water and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip Matt.

2 Likes

Thanks Matt, I’ll give that a go. I don’t mind the holes but it makes it harder to serve salads to guests! :joy:

2 Likes

Hi! Yup, got them here in East Anglia - they love mizuna! I have covered them with mesh (the usual barrier suggested) but it is faff taking it off and on,so I just deal with the holes. The plants seem fine. I just tear up the leaves and take out any “lacey” ones for guests :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

I also have them from time to time in my brassicas. As previously mentioned, they don’t like it moist, and they also don’t want to be disturbed. So I keep the soil moist and rake it regularely as soon as they appear, and the usually vanish within one or two weeks.

3 Likes

Here in the US in AZ in Flagstaff flea beetles are a scourge of every green that is in the Brassicaceae. It is dry and windy right now and the beetles are very abundant. We lost everything in the Brassicaceae in our salad mix. Eaten down so hard and fast that the seedlings died. Next month if the monsoons come we will reseed. The only thing that helps a bit here is growing under frost cloth or some other fabric barrier that limits beetle access but not too much light. Since we are at 7000’ and have freezing nights even in June, we normally use frost cloth. The frost cloth also keeps the deer out.

2 Likes

I also have them, I am in Lancashire. I will try my trusty Pravado.