Growing small water lilies in a bowl, how to?

I plan to do this for the first time this summer, in a bowl 30 cm deep, in the shade of my banana (Musa basjoo) which seems to have survived the long and cold winter. Any advice or recommendations? Has any one grown them from seed?

1 Like

Hi, I have never grown waterlillies from seed, but for a bowl that size I would have thought something like Nymphaea Pygmaea rubra or Nymphaea snow princess would be good options.

2 Likes

Have you seen this Matt? https://www.jackwallington.com/how-to-make-a-micro-wildlife-pond-in-a-pot/

I’ve not grown them from seed but have divided them.

2 Likes

Beauty! A micro wildlife pond in a pot it will be!

Living in Sweden, at first I could only find a webshop that USED to sell water lilies, and I have never seem them in a garden center here. A more extensive search in Sweden identified a webshop in Sweden that will start selling them in April, so now the difficult part is deciding which variety.

1 Like

And then of course the next step will be a wildlife nanopond.

1 Like

I’m growing one! Started last year in a big bowl and it survived winter (I’m on west coast Canada). I couldn’t get it to flower though.

2 Likes

I am already thinking about that part - how will I get the dwarf water lily to make it through in the winter? The micro pond I am planning will definitely freeze in Stockholm and to keep the plastic pot from cracking I will have to empty it before December. Since the Musa basjoo made it through the winter, perhaps I could try to winter the roots of the water lily in the vicinity of the roots of the Musa, which I will cover with wood chips, layers of tarp and what ever it takes to keep the roots from freezing.

hmmm… I definitely am no expert but I think it will depend on the species of lily. Also the depth of the pond will be critical too. If it can be well above the frozen surface it might be ok. The other thing is, do you have the ability to bring the container closer to the house/under shelter, so that the microclimate is warmer than what it will be generally outside?

1 Like

I will have to empty the pot with the micropond since the winter can be tough here. We could get down to -20 Centigrades or even colder, so having it near a building will not help. I am thinking about ways of creating a suitable storage near the roots of the banana plant, since it will stay where it is for the winter, with lots of insulating mulch and wood chips.

1 Like

Making progress with the micropond on Södermalm. The birds arrived instantly. Hope for some dragonflies this summer.

2 Likes

thats lovley :slight_smile:

1 Like

Making slow progress.

2 Likes

Very cool! I love the dark water and bowl