Growing Pumpkins

Is anyone growing pumpkins this year? I’ve been growing these Atlantic giant ones, one was doing so well and I had it supported but it snapped off the vine anyway. there are two more growing but nowhere as big as this one. hopefully they will make it to Halloween.

2 Likes

Looks fantastic! I’m growing ornamental squashes and some are technically a pumpkin but no proper pumpkins this year. I sowed old seed of a white one but they never germinated sadly.

What a beautiful pumpkin!
There’s one thing I want to ask: Can you please explain the difference between pumpkins and squashes? I’m from Austria, nd i have never been clear about the distinction… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Botanically they are all the same family the ‘Cucurbit’ family (had to google that as couldn’t remember :grinning: ‘Pumpkin’ if I remember correctly is a word gardeners gave to them. they are a type of winter squash the same a butternut squashes. there are lots of different squashes all types of colour and shape, they are either summer squashes grown for summer harvest or winter squashes for winter time.

4 Likes