Fern Wall in shaded spot?

Hi Jack - I read your “Fernatic: 50 fern species, 1 living wall!” article with huge interest, it looks amazing, and just like we’re thinking of doing with the entrance to our house. I have a question on whether ferns will grow with really minimal sunlight. I’ve attached a photo of our front door; we’d like to build a similar sloping shelf system they way you have done yours, with potted ferns. our house is directly north facing, so it gets no sun at all. The photo was taken on a sunny day outside, but in winter, the entrance can get quite dark.
All advice and help is very much appreciated!
Paul

5 Likes

Hi Paul!
Welcome to the community!
Yes absolutely, ferns love shade the most, they’re perfect for it :blush: go fern crazy!
Jack

1 Like

Ah good news! I like the variety that you’ve got in your wall, but maybe I won’t get quite to 50 varieties! :slight_smile:
Many thanks!
Paul

1 Like

Way cool! Just read the article. Jack did you have to supplement watering since they’re all kinda in pots?

Paul, good luck with your ferns! I have a good 5 or 6 now growing on my balcony :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d definitely go for fewer species. Too many different conditions! It would be easier to look after with multiple of a smaller number of fern types.

Yes, it’s just plants in pots ultimately so lots of hand watering. But in shade like this it will be less frequent.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice Jack, I’ll have a look at some evergreen types I think.
Soliska: we have some ferns in the back garden, typical ones you find in the wood local to us, and they are huge now - split off a couple of chunks from the biggest one to replant again. They’re just unfurling now, and get to over 3 foot in height, so don’t think that will be going into the fern wall! I’ll post some pictures up as I get going, looking forward to turning the space into a greener space!

1 Like