Fast climbers for my fence please to give me privacy

One of my boundaries is a lovely old feathered fence with some trellis on top. It’s messy and wonky and just how I like it. It’s got a few struggling honeysuckles clambering up it BUT I now want to really cover it and give myself some privacy from my neighbours who have built a huge extension. (sad face)

What can I add on my side to romp up the fence and make a nice big tangle on top of the trellis to hide my view. It doesn’t have to be evergreen. It’s spring to autumn that I need the screening most.

All suggestions gratefully received.

2 Likes

Hi Julie, have you thought about Jasmins’s or Clematis Montanas are vigorous also passion flowers?
I do like Trachelospermum jasminoides and Actinidia kolomikta, although the Trachelospermum is not that fast at growing but is evergreen and lovely scent
just a few to think about.

2 Likes

I second Nick’s suggestions.
I have a couple of Jasmines and they are quite exuberant once established. If they get naughty, cut back what you don’t like and they are fine with it. Gorgeous scent.

Clematis Montana are great too; I had one of these at a rental and it was smashing to see covering the fence in front of the house.

1 Like

How about Clematis alpina or tangutica, as though both deciduous, they have seedheads over the winter? The alpinas don’t need to be cut back so you wouldn’t be without cover in the spring as you might for a few weeks with something like a viticella.

2 Likes

Everyone’s suggestions, on top of these I’d also recommend Solanum. Is it reasonably sunny? Passionflowers are very fast growing once established and very beautiful.

2 Likes

Lovely to get advice and suggestions. I have a Montana on the other side which has shot up and covered a massive area - what a fabulous plant it is. The funny thing about the fence/trellis is that my neighbour’s side is east facing and whatever I have planted immediately pops thru to his side and flowers and thrives there. I’m left with the stalk. The new owners will be hacking back anything that dares to do that as I believe they only want neat tidy new things. Oh dear. Climbers are no respecters of boundaries.

I’m drawn to a few honeysuckles on the Crocus site. Jasmine definitely. I already have a winter one and an alpina, both doing their thing on the other side of the fence. Sigh.

2 Likes

Will definitely investigate a passionflower. I’ve never grown one. Solanum - is it any good for pollinators? If so then yes to that too. Thanks Jack.

Definitely like the idea of those clematis. Thanks.

If you fancy a rose then you couldn’t do better than Rambling Rector - it will very quickly scramble up your fence :blush:

1 Like

Thanks. But could be tooooo much of a monster!

2 Likes

We planted a Russian vine against a large garage to screen it and it went bananas, the problem is they need cutting back every few weeks in the growing season, but they are certainly quick to cover any surface!! Your neighbour probably wouldn’t be too pleased though. :blush::blush: