Fast Climber - Recommendations

Hello folks, I am after some recommendations for a fast growing climber.

I have an arbour seat in one corner of the garden. The neighbours at the back of me had some lovely ivy growing at the bottom of their garden that had spilled over into mine and sort of framed the top of the arbour. Despite the numerous flies it attracted, I liked how it looked (also a fan of enjoying a plant without the responsibility of keeping it alive!)

Anyway, the neighbours have spruced up their garden the other week and cleared away all the ivy, so if I want the greenery around the arbour back, I’m going to have to grow it myself.

What are your recommendations for a fast growing climber, preferably evergreen, not fussed if it doesn’t have flowers.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I have a soft spot for ivy, native if possible but lots of different types to choose from.

I think the online RHS plant finder is a fantastic tool: you can search for plants based on different criteria (including whether it’s UK native). Very handy:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Search-Results?form-mode=true&context=l%3Den%26q%3D%23all%26sl%3DplantForm%26r%3Df%2Fplant_habit%2Fclimbing%26r%3Df%2Fplant_foliage%2Fevergreen

:slight_smile: Jake

2 Likes

What about a hop? I haven’t grown it myself but I see it can look wonderful.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link. Got some nice suggestions from that. Cheers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was looking at hops, but because we have a dog it is not a good idea. Thanks fro the suggestion though :slight_smile:

1 Like

What do dogs do with hops?! I guess I could search for it online, but I’m afraid of what I might find :laughing:

haha! You are safe to Google! Hops are toxic to dogs. Even though they are bitter to the taste, even a small amount could make a dog very ill. Best avoided :wink:

2 Likes

Wow, never knew that. That’s good to know, we have little Jack Russell (Ronnie Barker) who munches lots of things about the garden. I’ll have to make sure it’s somewhere he can’t reach (he does have little legs)

2 Likes

How about a honeysuckle vine? We put one in our community garden and seems pretty robust. The flowers smell amazing!

2 Likes

I love your dogs name haha :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ll look into that, thanks for the suggestion :slightly_smiling_face:

We have a Virginia creeper and although I’ve read that I need to be pretty ruthless in trimming back when it gets going I am looking forward to a nice red curtain of leaves in autumn.

1 Like

2 Likes

At our old house we had a beautiful Virginia Creeper scrambling over the garden wall and it turned the most brilliant red every autumn. I always looked forward to the show! But after that it dropped every last leaf and it was a lot of work to keep clearing them away. But now we both have limited mobility and, having moved to a new gaff, I’m favouring plants that don’t require much work to stay looking good.

Please post a photo of your VC when it turns red :smile:

2 Likes