Does anyone else find Miscanthus takes years to establish?

No matter where I’ve planted it, after 2-3 years the plants are always quite small and not the large clumps I see in parks and large gardens. I always start them from 3-5litres but it always seems to be the same, that they aren’t particularly strong growers. I’m wondering if I need to fertilise them more or do something different?

1 Like

Hi jack, I Planted some clusters of 3 Miscanthus ‘Krater’ in 2 litre pots back in 2015 and they have grown not hugely fast and have not spread to far but they have covered about a little over a meter squared they do seem to be slow.

please ignore the gaps I have lots more to plant in but I am waiting for the weather to cool before doing so.
We do have a Miscanthus which was here before I came alone and that’s big.

1 Like

Thanks nick, that’s really helpful and interesting. Your garden looks great! I’ll be patient and see how they develop. Im looking forward to them being big enough to fend for themselves a bit more.

1 Like

Hi Jack.

I also find them slow to establish. I have planted 3 in a border behind verbena bonariensis thinking it would grow taller, but the last 2 years I don’t really see the miscanthus until the winter. I am considering moving them in the spring.

1 Like

Yes I’ve found they can be very short especially on planting. I’ve planted them a lot and this always seems to be the case, I’m yet to plant a vigorous one!