Do you grow perennial vegetables?

I’m increasingly interested in them but often find they’re never quite as good as the annuals, not really. If you grow any, which are your favourites and least favourites?

Asparagus and artichokes are quite bog standard perennials which I love of course. I’m trying perennial kale and others.

I actually don’t know very much about perennial veg. I have chard that I’ve overwintered so they do well but I’m not sure how many years they last. Kale tends to get spindly on me so I end up having to get rid of it. There’s a rhubarb in the community beds in the garden too! Are there good perenial kinds for a raised bed?

1 Like

I think most can if the bed goes into the soil?

It’s difficult here in Canada… most things will die in winter even if it is perennial. I’m lucky I live on the west coast, so my climate is temperate. I find Swiss Chard and kale overwinter nicely in beds.

Found a helpful youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBN4ODMBgGk

2 Likes

That’s interesting, we were supposed to visit in May for a wedding in Penticton but obviously that has been postponed… what sort of temperature ranges do you get? I’m interested in what plants in Canada might be happy in the UK.

1 Like

Where I grew up (Calgary, AB), -20s are the norm in winter, could get to -40C with wind chill factored in. In the summer, can get to low 30s.

Where I live now (Vancouver, BC), ranges from minus single digits (Celsius) in the winter, to maybe a few weeks were we hit high 20s, low 30s. I’m in zone 7b for gardening I think. It’s very wet here, so I would think the plants I grow here should be happy in the UK generally speaking :slight_smile:

1 Like

P.S. Penticton is lovely. I hope you get to visit one day!

Not really much idea what perennial veg are. I understand the concept, but don’t know of any. Guess you would need space to explore this topic as I still need all my annual stuff!

I have artichokes, as they lovely in the back of the garden especially the purple fruited ones. But I must admit that I have never eaten them :open_mouth: (given some to French work colleagues). Must do better…

Oh, I forgot asparagus! Picked the last of the season for dinner last night, nom… You do need the space but mine has been going about 18 years (it was a gift for the hubby) and v little work: some manure in late winter and some intensive weeding. Now, they just shoot up and look frondy and decorative until winter.

I’ve found this website helpful when thinking about perennial vegetables… https://backyardlarder.co.uk/plants/perennial-vegetables/

1 Like

@jackwallington Going back to your question about perennial vegetables… I’ve just realised that I have a Taunton Dean kale on my allotment … a perennial kale… it can only be propagated from cuttings, which I’m not used to doing… but am giving it a go… if it works I’ll do more, and could potentially send one to you through the post… I think they’re quite hard to get hold of, unless you know someone who can propagate for you. It produces leaves all year for several years, so useful to have.

1 Like

Ooh lovely, I know it but don’t have any at the moment so it will be interesting how you get on with yours. Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been growing walking onions for a couple of years now and they are multiplying well…but I’ve never harvested or eaten any.

1 Like

What’s a walking onion Mandeigh?

I believe they are also called Egyptian onions. They grow a number of bulblets on the stem which then drop down and start the next ones. This describes it better than I can…Walking onions info

1 Like

Thank you Mandeigh! Very interesting, I think I’ve heard of them before but haven’t ever grown them.

Happy to send you some down…

I thought I’d grown some from seed… have waited a year and they turn out to be something else… a bit like a giant chive… I’m very disappointed they’re not the walking onions as I’d hoped. Note to self: go back & check seed packet!

1 Like

Poor you, the long wait, the reveal, and, oh… Been there, done that.

Well, if your packet lets you down, I do know that Realseeds sells bulbils, so there is another way to try them. Bulbils are tiny, so it is kind of like growing from seed :wink: