Courgettes in pots!

I had a go at growing courgette Midnight F1 last year in 10 inch pots as we do not have the space to grow them in the ground. I had some good courgettes but not the amounts we expected. Has anyone experience of growing courgettes in pots and if so what size pots and the best compost and also best watering?

We have more of a flower garden with fruit trees and one area for runner beans.

3 Likes

Hi Paul,

Have you seen this discussion on courgettes?

Although it’s the opposite problem to you, the solution includes lots of good varieties for pots.

It could be the cultivar, as some produce less than others. Alternatively I would think watering and fertiliser. The pot size sounds fine, you could go larger, to about 40cm, 1.5ft. But really it sounds like a slight lack of either water of nutrients from fertiliser. Was it in full sun? And did you grow multiple plants for cross pollination? This helps with some.

Jack

1 Like

Thanks for the information Jack. They had plenty of water and the compost was a peat free/ garden compost mix with later weekly liquid feeding. I grew six plants next to each other.

I am wondering if it may be a sunlight issue as they were in full sun from late morning onwards? In sunlight hours what is the minimum courgettes require? General gardening advice recommend “full sun” which means what? All day?

1 Like

Hmm, it should be enough time, although I grow mine in direct sunlight completely all day. It may well be that or the particular type of courgette I think.

Thought I would try two varieties and grow them in a sunnier location. I will let you know later in the year how I get on.

1 Like

Sounds like a great plan, can’t wait to hear the results.

Trying a different spot in the garden sounds like a good idea. It is amazing how certain plants or varities start thriving if you just move them a few meters - whether it is the sun, the soil, the wind or a plant neighbour that makes the difference.

In Nordic lore, if a plant does not do well, it is because you planted it on the path of the resident wight, so moving the plant a bit will help.

2 Likes