Cordyline australis Trimming/cutting query

I need to trim back my Cordyline australis as it’s getting rather large. It was originally one trunk and several years ago it looked to have died off. This single trunk was cut down and the palm was dormant for several years. It started to grow back at some rate a few years ago. What was one trunk is now 7 trunks of varying thicknesses. I need to cut it down and I was wondering if cutting it now in Aug/sept is sensible. I really like the palm and I don’t want it to die if I am to cut it back at this time of year. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Generally I think anytime is ok if you live in an area that isn’t too cold and wet in winter.

However, personally I would wait until the start of spring to cut back to give it a better chance through the growing season.

Hi Jack, thanks for your response. I ideally need to cut it back now as it’s getting rather large. Hopefully this shouldn’t affect it’s health too greatly.

1 Like

They’re kinda indestructible so I’d say go for it - they’re inexpensive go replace if the worst happens.

1 Like

Great. Many thanks for your help.

2 Likes

I am trying to get my Cordyline survive the Stockholm winter again. Last spring, I removed the winter protection too early. Easy to replace of course but so much fun if the plant makes it through the winter storms. My two European dwarf palms survived last winter - in the warmest microclimate of Stockholm, and the Musa basjoo.

1 Like