Celeriac - seeds or plug plants?

I would be interested to know if people prefer plug plants for Celeriac or seeds…clearly the seeds are cheaper (99p for 200 seeds)…I have a greenhouse but happy to try seeds indoors and in the greenhouse (not frost free though).

Welcome your comments on success or failure!! I have been told it is easier than celery and then others saying it is tricky to get seedlings going …this is a popular veg in the family so it would be nice to grow it on the plot!!

Rgds
Sarah

1 Like

Hi there. I have had mixed results germinating seeds in previous years, but more success this year using a propagator. I planted out 16 seedlings when I deemed them large enough and all but 3 were totally munched overnight by snails. The remaining plants didn’t really bulk up as expected so not a success, in NW London anyway.
Jill

2 Likes

Thank you Jill very kind! I shall try them indoors then and try and keep them away from slugs and snails! Will report back if any success!
Sarah

Like Jill I grow them inside and then plant out when large enough.

2 Likes

Hi,
I may do celeriac again this year! I had no real issues growing them myself (all two times!). Start the seeds inside mid Feb in a propagator. Once planted out, watch for snails/slugs and keep well mulched/watered. They take a while to grow (autumn harvest), but not a lot of work.

I have too much wildlife to plant seeds direcly, lol, I just lose them. Even salads get started in guttering here!

Thanks BelovedPorcupine…

Yes I have all kinds of insect life and birds in the garden (which is good) and they love tender shoots! So I think indoors sounds good until pretty established. I have treated myself to a small greenhouse too (not heated etc). I am keen to trial a few seedlings in garden vs plot with some of my planting in 2021, I have more space at the plot but curious to see if soil is different, conditions etc e.g. I have noticed it is quite windy on the plot which might make some planting tricky…all good fun though!

Rgds
Sarah

1 Like