Capillary matting- too wet

Can anyone advise on how to use capillary matting correctly please? I have just started using it and have ended up with sopping wet matting, which is obviously not good for my seedlings. I have a tray with pots sitting on capillary matting and the wick matting placed under this and into a tray of water adjacent to it. The water doesn’t seem to stop being drawn into the matting even if it is already damp,so it starts to puddle. I am not sure if I should have the tray of water further away or below instead of next to. If anyone has experience of this system,I would much appreciate your advice. Thanks

1 Like

Hmm, it is what it does. It’s always sopping when I use it. The only thing I can think is to try putting the water basin lower and seeing if that slows the draw of water at all. Otherwise you might have to take the water basin away for a few days and then put I back again and repeat. As weather warms up it will probably balance out.

1 Like

when use capillary matting I always have the water as low as possible as it seems to slow the the draw of water.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely try the water lower,as I do want to be reasonably confident that my plants will be ok if I go away… When we are finally allowed to do it!

2 Likes