Can anyone help with clematis pruning, please?

I’ve got a purple flowering clematis, quite large flowers, which finished flowering about a month ago. I don’t know which ‘group’ it is and not sure if I should just prune a little or cut it right back.
Although it’s been in my garden at least 20 years it was more or less smothered by a large hedge that blew down in January & it’s totally rejuvenated it.

1 Like

Hi Diane, can you post a picture of it in flower and so we can see the leaves? If it definitely finished flowering in July, it will be either a type 2 or type 3 clematis which both can be pruned in a very similar way by cutting back all old growth in late winter. If t’s type 2, there are some other tricks you can try and you can read about each group’s pruning here: https://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/Clematis-pruning.html

1 Like

Thank you, Jack. I didn’t take a photo. Should have!! I think I’m going for type 3. Thank you for taking the trouble to post the link, that’ll be really helpful.

1 Like

Great, good luck! If it works next year it makes it very easy to look after them, just cut back in winter.

1 Like

Thank you, really appreciate your help.
Whilst I’m here, you must be thrilled with how amazingly well your garden has come on?

1 Like

Yes! It’s really grown better than I expected, I’m now planning a few changes for next year, it’s fun :two_hearts:

1 Like

Look forward to seeing that!

1 Like