Best hedge species with one side in sun and the other in shade?

hi everyone, I’m hoping for some advice on hedging. A client of mine wants a new 30m hedge added which is south facing on one side and north facing on the other. Has anyone ever had to plant a hedge with one side in full sun and the other in almost full shade? I wondered what species you’ve used. We were thinking of Thuja but I’m not sure about the shaded side.

What about Photinia?

I have a 4 meter long, south facing hedge but it’s Small leaf Lonicera. It was over 2meters in places- we chopped it down to about 75cm & it’s now 125cm high, very thick. Equally green on north side. Very tough plant!

1 Like

You’ll have probably considered these fairly ubiquitous options, but a few inexpert thoughts.

How about, not a very original idea, yew? I’ve planted yew against a north-east facing close-board fence, which is also shaded at the south east end by the house, and it’s formed a good hedge. Another one growing in the open has a side facing north west, and even where it gets full shade where it meets a 7’ hornbeam hedge it still has done well. Another (I’m a fan of yew hedges…) has a north west side with a large purple hazel shading it, and that too is ok.

My parents planted a long viburnum tinus hedge with their side facing north and part of that even shaded by a densely clipped arbutus undo growing beside it and other nearby shrubs, and though I’m not a great fan of the plant, it did look very good all the way along.

I’ve planted and shaped individual Portuguese laurel in shade and cherry laurel and holly would also do well. Where I’m staying at the moment I can see a photinia hedge in a neighbouring garden that looks good on its north side.

Unless a hedge is shaded closely from above, with good light on one side my sense is that most hedging plants would be fine (lonicera nitida definitely an exception, I have one growing happily under a medlar tree). One thing I’ve learned from growing mine, from very small plants mostly, is that I didn’t pay enough attention and let them grow to the intended width without trimming enough, and I think it might be especially helpful on a north-facing side to trim early on to encourage it to thicken up.

1 Like

A few years ago I planted Elaeagnus x ebbingei “Compacta” in deep shade on dry soil to fill a gap under a holly hedge. It’s done really well and now has its top in the sun but has retained the lower leaves in shade. One happy plant regardless of conditions.

1 Like

Hi Jack,

I’ve used Photinia, any of the Laurels, as well as yew, box, privet, I like using willow, dogwood, Hazel these are all good, but my preferred hedging is a combination of Beech and Hornbeam its not as dense as some when young but let them grow and they are lovely and really good for the wildlife, and if you wanted to you could hedge lay them. the shaded side may struggle a little while young. I suppose it depends on how dense and how tall it needs to get.