Anyone here built a hoggin path?

I really like the use of ”waste” substrates in John Little’s gardens, combined with native & naturalistic planting, and I particularly like the contrast with the hard edged paths and geometric shapes. Apparently, there is a mix of clay, gravel & sand called a Hoggin Path, which I’m sure Adam Frost used on one of his Chelsea gardens.

Has anyone had any experience building a hoggin path? Also, any pointers on using flexible metal sheeting as a path edging?

1 Like

Yes, we’ve added a few hoggin paths. I haven’t built it personally but I have designed it to be built by contractors. It’s fairly easy to do, just compact it in layers and metal edging is fine as long as it’s not too flimsy. Hoggin is basically a mixed size gravel with tiny particles included which when compacted is fairly solid and impenetrable. It’s one of my favourite surfaces.

1 Like

They are interesting—reason I’ve been researching is because I’m designing a mini forest garden for a friend. The trouble is, the patch is on a small hill with a stream at the top that floods it with water every winter. Pretty squelchy now, so wanted to get some hardcore down for drainage, then came across the hoggin path. I just love the name, almost expect Bilbo to come skipping merrily along!

2 Likes

:joy: haha yes I can imagine that

2 Likes