Any allotmenteers in the house?

I’ve had my allotment for five years now here in London and I’m incredibly attached to it, more so with each year! I’m always keen to catch up with others on an allotment or kitchen garden.

1 Like

Morning Jack
As Suffolk allotment is out of bounds I am making more of a kitchen garden here in London. I sowed toms, dwarf aubergines, courgettes, chilli, cucumber seeds 10 days ago and nothing has shown at all yet. Kept them in greenhouse under heated cover and a little daily spray of water. Worried maybe too warm as weather has been so good?

1 Like

Hi Wizzo! That’s really interesting, I would have thought the tomatoes would be up by now. I have a different set up to you but have had some seed sowing problems this year too, the aubergines and chillies were slow to germinate and some chillies didn’t at all. Strange that none of yours have shown though. Could they have dried out at all? Otherwise yeah, I guess it is something to do with the temperature?

Or is it old seeds?I’ve realised this year that that the age of the seed can make a huge difference to how well it germinates… I’ve always hung onto seed packets for years… now getting rid of all my old ones and starting again with new :blush:

1 Like

Yes very good point. Lots of seeds I’ve found really degrade quite quickly. Brassicas and beans especially for me.

Hi there,
I got my first ever allotment last weekend :blush:
It’s half a plot about 26x38ft. It was covered in couch grass and had one Rhubab and 2x fruit canes on it. I managed to hand dig 1/4 of it over the past few days. I am having trouble deciding on what material to use for paths. We are not allowed wood chips or any hard core material but I don’t want to leave the paths bare and slippery/muddy. Any ideas?

Also my ultimate goal is to have a plot where 1/3 of it is designated purely to flower beds/borders. Has anyone also has a passion for growing flowers on your Allotment?

1 Like

Hi Angel, yes I love flowers on my allotment! 1/3 of my plot is a large plant community.
Hmm the paths I’m not sure what to suggest except grass! Strange you can’t have wood chip. Worth double checking with them?
Double weed the couch grass, in a week or two to really make sure it’s gone. It’s such a nightmare especially around perennial flowers.

1 Like

Hi I’ve 2 quarter plots - had the first one for 2 full years then took on the second 1/4 to put a polytunnel which went up in march. I love it - and we’re lucky that at the moment its still open which gives me chance to spend more time there and my small assistant helps with the watering. I do worry that they may close them and then I’d be stuck so currently most of my seedlings have taken over the house and there’s a daily ritual of watering and putting outside for some sun.

1 Like

I was worried about them closing them before, but now that the number of coronavirus infections are dropping wit the current measures, I don’t think they will go that far thankfully! :slight_smile:

Hello… I’m a great advocate of the ‘no dig’ method of growing veg, as taught by Charles Dowding (check out his website & videos). His recommendation for paths is to have them very narrow, and just compost, on the basis that veg on the edges of beds use the nutrients in the path. Having said that, I have a fair amount of grass on my small paths. I’ve seen some people make brick paths, as you would in a garden. I wouldn’t use wood chip, because it can attract slugs & snails. Good luck, and enjoy your plot.

2 Likes